Home Forums Legacy lenses Nanotechnology water resistance for legacy lenses Reply To: Nanotechnology water resistance for legacy lenses

#9598 Reply
viktor pavlovic
viktor pavlovic
Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

interesting idea for sure. You might test it on a cheap lens, I would recommend something like Russian Helios 44, and to test it I would simply spray a shower on it than I would leave it for a month or so in a wet dark place. If the protection wasn’t good, you will most certainly find some rust on the barrel and focusing can get stiff or even blocked. Be sure however to screw any type of protective filter (I assume you don’t want to spray coating over glass?).
There is one problem to consider – probably most critical places for moisture to get into the lens or camera is the mount itself. Weather protected lenses have sealing ring , usually made of rubber, on the mount side. I am afraid that there is no proper way to apply nano coating in order to protect this weak spot, unless you spray it over with lens mounted on camera, but that’s a risk that I won’t suggest (and you won’t be able to change lenses).
In any case, if you dare to try it, please let us know how it went.

Cheers,
Viktor

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close