Home Forums Q&A Forum NIKON D7200 vs. SONY a77II Reply To: NIKON D7200 vs. SONY a77II

#9685 Reply
viktor pavlovic
viktor pavlovic
Keymaster

Now we are talking 🙂
I would be able to give you more reliable advise with the lenses for E mount. e.g. If you would buy Sony A6000 instead, I would suggest:
1. Sony SEL 10-18 f/4 OSS /landscape and underwater wide angle.
2. Sigma 19, 30 and 60, all f/2.8 (from street to portrait with very good price/performance ratio)
3. Sony SEL 55-210 as a tele option for wildlife and sexy neighbor across the street.

Set like this (SEL 1018 is rather expensive, but you can buy camera with kit pancake 16-50 and SEL 55-210 in the bundle and then slowly put some peanuts aside for better glass) should cover most of your needs at a very good IQ level.

For Nikon DX

1. Your best bet will be to start with kit zoom bundle 18-55 and 55-200. This is by far most economical solution. If you are not sure about preferred focal lengths, you can either:
a) Check exifs after a year or so to see which focal lengths you used most
b) use duct tape to fix your zooms at certain FL and test them for a week or two.
Both ways should help you to discover your preferred focal lengths and give you a clue for the future lens choices.

Medium budget higher quality solution will be:
1. Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II or Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM – landscape, WA and under water.
2. Nikon 35/1.8 G AF-S great standard lens.
3. Nikon 85/1.8 G AF-S – superb portrait lens
4. Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8 (two rings) used. Very good old tele zoom, but not easy to find in a good shape.

Sony A77 M ii
I think that this camera doesn’t come with lens bundles, at least I haven’t seen them. This makes things slightly more complicated…

1. Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX – also here I will search for this Tokina. I am nit sure it was made in version II for Sony A, but even the first version was very good. You should look for used one (because of the price), but if possible – try before buy. De-centering of the optics was a common issue with this lens.
2. Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 is nice standard zoom for affordable price. There are better zooms, but much more expensive. You can also look at third party offers – Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] or Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM but both are way more expensive.
3. Sony SAL 85F28 is nice small portrait lens.
4. With tele options it’s not that easy. I can recommend Minolta 100-300 f/4.5-.6 APO (D) zoom. It is quite underestimated performer.

Please understand, that my recommendation above is not about best optics or optical performance. I tried to give you kind of best bang for the buck options, good starter lenses and sets that should cover most of your needs.

I hope it helps a bit.

Cheers,
Viktor

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close