Home Forums Legacy lenses Amazing 135mm legacy lens

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  verybiglobo 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Dear Viktor,

I’ve come across an amazing 135mm legacy lens, which I thought I should share with you and your readers.

I’ve done my own rudimentary lens test for sharpness, which combines it with a 2x teleconverter and matches it against a modern zoom lens (Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS L II), an old Nikon AIS 300/4.5 prime lens, and an old Minolta AF 100-300m f/4.5-5.6 APO D zoom.

You can see my primitive test with sample shots here:
    http://www.anthonymak.org/Photography-Scratch-Disk/135mm-Lens-Comparison/n-WzH2DC/i-2Tmnh2f

The lens I’m raving about is a Minolta MD 135/2.8 with 2x TC (Minolta 300-s). In my opinion, this combination produces sufficient sharpness to be used as a travel lens combo, because it’s quite small and light. Thus, easy to pack. When combined with a Vivtar 1.5x TC, it produces a 135/2.8, 200/4.x, and 270/5.6. All very useful.

You should note that there are many versions of this lens, including two MC versions and at least 3 MD versions. But, they are not created equal. I have bought 6 lenses ranging in price from £20-70 before I discovered this lens. The others I bought (MC, MD-I, MD-II) were much less impressive. This lens is what’s referred to by the Minolta geeks as the MD-III version from 1981.

You can identify the lens from the Swiss website below (it’s in German, but use Google Translate to convert it to your language of choice).

http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/171-minolta-135mm-f28

Warmest regards,

Anthony

#12369 Reply
    viktor pavlovic
    viktor pavlovic
    Keymaster

Sorry for the late reply Anthony and thank you for the great comparison. If you’d like, I can publish it on this web, or when I get to some Minolta review, I can put the link to it. Good job sir.

Cheers,
    Viktor

#15366 Reply

verybiglobo
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Amazing 135mm legacy lens
Your information:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close