Home Forums Legacy lenses Lens designers talking about lenses

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  verybiglobo 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anthony

Hi folks,

I thought you might be interested in seeing two Nikon lens designers talking about lenses. One of them designed the Nikkor DX 1.8/35.

There are two passages that I found most interesting:

@3mins, one designer described how he sees lenses as a way of compressing a 3D world into 2D and when parts of the 3D world won’t compress, then they become blurred. I’d never thought of lenses in that way before.

@3:40mins he explains that for every stop increase in speed you get an increase in aberations to the power 3. Thus, from f/4 to f/2 is an 8x increase in aberrations. But the lens must not be 8x more expensive or heavy…these laws of physics are what lens designers have to work within. Fascinating!

Anthony

#9492 Reply

Anthony

p.s. I wanted to post this in “Open Talk”, but that part of the forum seems to be broken.

#9493 Reply
    viktor pavlovic
    viktor pavlovic
    Keymaster

Anthony, thank you so much for posting this brilliant short interview. It is simple said truth, easy for everyone to understand. I am trying to promote idea that there are not better or worse lenses in general terms, just different lenses, such as we all have different eyes and perception.

I will take a look at open talk to see what is going on there.

Thanks again for your great contribution.

#16049 Reply

verybiglobo

Symptoms of a Heartbreak : Sona Charaipotra : 9781250199102

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Lens designers talking about lenses
Your information:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close