Home Forums Legacy lenses Takumar 50mm f/1.4

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  verybiglobo 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    viktor pavlovic
    viktor pavlovic
    Keymaster

Martin wrote:

“Hi Viktor
    i read your blog with great interest. i have 3 super takumars from the earlier spotmatic. We have now 2015 what advise would you give in buying a body like nex7 or nex5 or even an other camera body to use with this objectives.
    From price quality level with this objectives?
    Any advise which adaper to be used for the m42 mm/new camerabody?
    Thank you and best regards
    Martin”

#9498 Reply
    viktor pavlovic
    viktor pavlovic
    Keymaster

Hi Martin,

I have been using Takumars with both – NEX 5N and NEX 7. Any of those cameras will do well with Takumars, but for the most exciting results you might consider full frame.

Lenses originally designed for full frame, especially legacy ones, will benefit of similar projection size, rendering image similar to what they were designed for.

On APS-C sensor, part of the lens projection (yes, that is worst part of the image) will be cropped of course, but it depends on you if you like it that way.

From the technical point of view, there are not many differences between NEX 5 (N) and NEX 7 in terms of critical corner performance at wide open apertures with this lens.

Hope it helps,
    Viktor

#9505 Reply

Thea

Viktor, what do you think about this Takumar? http://www.ebay.com/itm/281833689580

#9508 Reply
    viktor pavlovic
    viktor pavlovic
    Keymaster

Hi Thea,
    it depend what you expect from this lens.

You can adapt it for Sony, using same adapter as with Swirly Helios.

This Takumar is not highly valued lens for its optical performance, but as each Takumar, it is very well made.

I would suggest you to look for Topcon RE Topcor 58/1.8 instead, as that lens is much sharper and had quite interesting rendering. I can offer you few alternatives from Carl Zeiss Jena – Very good Pancolar 50/1.8 MC (around 100-120 USD), Old but charismatic Pancolar 50/2 zebra (50-80 USD), Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 50/2.9 (100-150 USD), Super cheap Pentacon 50/1.8 (if you just want to try that focal length/speed combination,(up to 25 USD) and few other (There are some great Russian alternatives as well). You might also consider Olympus 50/1.8 (be sure it has “Made in Japan” engraved on the lens collar, Or Nikon 50/1.8 Ai (or Ai-S, but not E)
    Among Takumars, most popular are 50/1.4 versions, but except very first (8 elements) version, they all have Thoriated (radioactive) elements inside which are yellowing in time. To bring them to their original transparency, you will need UV (black light) lamp to keep shining on the lens for many, many days or months.

Cheers, Viktor

#15389 Reply

verybiglobo
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Your information:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close