Home Forums Sony E Mount – Lenses Zeiss Batis Lenses

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  verybiglobo 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    viktor pavlovic
    viktor pavlovic
    Keymaster

Please post here any question or comment, related to Zeiss Batis lenses.

#9445 Reply

jim kannry

Hi Viktor,

Anything further on Batis lenses following your visit to Zeiss? Nice wrote up on Milvus, but I am totally confused by Zeiss marketing. Milvus is strictly manual focusing, best suited for use with an evf, focus peaking, etc, all of which Canon and Nikon lack. Because of the need for an adaptor, Milvus cannot be considered ideal on Sony E mount. Also, there is the issue of size and weight. In that case, doesn’t Loxia make more sense? So many birds, I am wondering if a bird brain is behind the whole program? Or is this a sophisticated attempt to throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks?

Jim

#9446 Reply
    viktor pavlovic
    viktor pavlovic
    Keymaster

Hi Jim,
    not many news about Batis I am afraid. However, it was more than clear that Zeiss is paying lot of attention to Sony in general and I am sure that this line will grow-up. Considering their supply problems recently, it might take a bit longer till they come with new Batis lenses, but not too long. I would expect something in the 1st quarter of 2016, wild guessing 135/2.8 and maybe 50/1.4. Those are really wild guesses, not info from Zeiss.

Regarding Milvus, Zeiss is convinced (and I share that opinion) that DSLR market is far from being dead. With Milvus, Zeiss is just replacing old – “Classic” line, which was available for Canon and Nikon (earlier for Pentax too) for over 10 years now. Reasons for that are several, officially they wanted to update 50 and 85 for new high resolution sensors (other “classics” were already resolving enough), move toward new – modern and differentiating design, add weather protection and new coatings. On the other side of the equitation, there is probably effort to reduce production costs (barrels are now really similar and less complicated forms and assembly is needed), and it builds a space for slight profit increase.

Regarding MF and DSLR vs MILC, there are situations where OVF can still beat EVF (in speed and low light), but most of all, OVF is still preferred by majority of professionals, for rather emotional but also some rational reasons. (When I shot model with EVF I always have a feeling that I am watching him/her on TV, while through OVF I feel as a part of the set. Also, most of portrait shooting doesn’t go at really wide apertures, especially in studio and with flash and modeling light it is easier for me to focus using OVF).

Anyway, looking at the recent Zeiss camera lens offer, we can see 7 lines recently (ZM is on hold unfortunately and Classic is slightly dying) from which 3 lines are only Sony E mount dedicated (Loxia, Batis and Touit). With Sony/Zeiss lenses it makes it actually 4 and I think that it is more than clear, which technology and brand, Zeiss consider as a most promising.

regards,
    Viktor

#9448 Reply

jim kannry

Hi Viktor,

Thank you for your reply from which I learned a lot. I started many years ago with Leica M3 and transitioned to Nikon F because of much wider lens range. As I got older, weight became an issue, and I tried several mirror- less systems, but was never satisfied with image quality or quirks of operation and viewfinder experience. Finally, along comes the Sony A7 series (especially the new 7R11) with a viewfinder that helps my aging eyes and a form factor that takes pity on my back. Having relatively light weight Zeiss lenses available is a big plus, although I would jump on a Zeiss 135 f2.8 in a heartbeat. I just wish Sony would iron out some menu bugs, but they seem responsive to suggestions, so I am hopeful.

I very much enjoy your reviews and appreciate the amount of detail and comparative information you provide. Many thanks.

Regards,

Jim

#9450 Reply
    viktor pavlovic
    viktor pavlovic
    Keymaster

Hi Jim,
    thank you for your kind words. I am sure that Zeiss will introduce several new lenses in both Batis and Loxia lines. If you would be able to focus manually, there are already some quite small and good 135mm legacy lenses (MOG Orestor 135/2.8 e.g.) and very, very good Samyang 135/2 at affordable price.
    For AF, either Zeiss or Sony will certainly announce something soon, but the problem with longer focal lengths is that you can’t get much of the size/weight benefit with E-mount in comparison to FL up to 50mm 🙁

Cheers,
    Viktor

#16019 Reply

verybiglobo

The Dirty Girls Social Club by Alisa Valdés-Rodríguez · 9781250765864

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Zeiss Batis Lenses
Your information:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close